Grand Park’s Lovers Rock goes virtual for 2021!
Celebrate the holiday of love with a Grand Park vibe that can be created safely at home!
Starting February 12, rock to the vibes inspired by Lovers Rock reggae, with playlists and sets from some of LA’s amazing DJs on Grand Park’s Spotify and Mixcloud:
- Novena Carmél, the new co-host of KCRW’s “Mornings Becomes Eclectic,” will spin a set that is largely inspired by the early foundation of Lovers Rock—Reggae versions of classic love songs. Carmél’s playlist was complete when it came in at 1 hour and 43 minutes a.k.a. “143,” the old school pager code for “I love you.”
- From Brown Sugar’s “Black Pride” to Janet Kay’s “Silly Game’s,” Christian Morales (co-founder of Qvolé Collective) will create a playlist to move listeners through the essence of love and heartache. Highlighting Lovers Rock derivative genres such as Dembow, Reggaeton and Punk, his set will also feature music from The Selector, Shabba Ranks, The Noise and The Clash.
- As a 10-year collaborator with the artist Prince and frequent guest on major world tours with other artists, DJ Rashida (Rashida Robinson) is a cultural influencer and musicologist who will spin a Love focused reggae set. Her goal is to transport you to paradise via her favorite lovers rock, dancehall, and classic reggae covers.
- DJ Hoseh (Jose C. Salguero) has been a part of L.A.’s music fabric for 24 years, first hosting “Headspace” on KXLU 88.9 FM and also as a founding member of dublab, where he hosts “Version Sounds.” Serving up the sweet sounds of an all-vinyl set, DJ Hoseh’s playlist will be multi-dimensional, sharing a broad palette of music aligned to the genre.
- Storm the DJ conquers both beauty and bass in her passions as a DJ and producer. Traveling the world as a model, Storm’s music is influenced by different cultures, which will transpire her playlist featuring a classic variety of Reggae music known for its romantic sound and style, but with a “Special Storm” twist.
Then, cook up a loving, healthy, delicious vegan Valentine’s meal – solo or with your pod! – with fun and simple cooking recipes and YouTube video tutorials by Angela Means Kaaya, founder of Jackfruit Cafe.
The Valentine’s Menu is:
- Broccoli with Red Pepper Flakes
- Garlic Cauliflower and Red Potato Mash
- Meatless Meatloaf
- Key lime Cheesecake Bites
Find the recipes here: click LOVERS ROCK RECIPES
Stay tuned for more info! The cooking videos and playlists will be available starting February 12th!!
To round out the Grand Park Lovers Rock virtual experience, Grand Park will interview GRAMMY®-winning producer Aston Barrett Jr., bandleader of The Wailers, on Sunday, February 28, 2021, at 4:00 p.m. (@GrandPark_LA on Instagram). Hailing from Reggae royalty, Barrett will discuss the importance of love in the sound and music of The Wailers and Barrett’s 2021 GRAMMY nomination for Best Reggae Album (One World) as well as his favorite Lovers Rock tracks.
Information subject to change.
METRO RED or PURPLE LINE TO CIVIC CENTER/GRAND PARK STATION, GOLD LINE TO LITTLE TOKYO/ARTS DISTRICT STATION
Grand Park is an LA County park powered by The Music Center.